For many years our sports lawyers have advised leading sports personalities and premier league and non-league clubs, athletes, golfers, basketball players, cricketers, sponsors and sports agents and intermediaries.
We have extensive experience in:
- Player representation agreements between player and agent/intermediary
- Endorsement and sponsorship negotiations between player and high profile company
- Employment contracts between player and club
- Registering of player's name / logo as trade mark for purposes of marketing and commercial opportunities.
- Development of alternative income streams
- Develop post playing career strategy
- Player transfer negotiations,
- Image rights,
- Advice on business and commercial matters
- Tax and estate planning
- Commercial and residential property acquisition and disposal
- Setting up a charitable foundation
- Advice and guidance in relation to a player’s testimonial year
- Privacy issues and reputation management
- Road traffic issues
- Advice and representation on disciplinary matters with club and /or governing body.
- Advice and representation in disputes between player agent/intermediary on Rule K arbitration.
- Advice on anti-doping regulations.
- Contractual disputes between football clubs and their commercial partners
- Advice on the protection of sporting entities intellectual property rights.
The notable cases and matter carried out by our sports team include:
Acting on behalf of a consortium, in the takeover of a football club, and also making an application for an injunction on behalf of the consortium against the club’s director/shareholder to prevent him from using misusing the clubs funds.
Acting on behalf of an overseas investor in purchasing a football league, and representing the investor in the FA’s fit and proper person test.
Acting on behalf of a football agent in an FA Rule K Arbitration matter concerning an allegation of the agent’s breach of contract and receiving and a secret profit from the club and excessive commission for a player in a transfer deal.
Defending a football league club regarding an allegation of breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation from a commercial partner.
Acting on behalf a number of high profile premier league payers in their testimonial year, to televise their game live and delay TV broadcasts around the world.
Co-ordinating a top premier league club’s brand protection and strategy around the world with customs offices, licensees and sub licensees.
Acting on behalf of a number of premier league players in their merchandising, sponsorship and ambassador roles during the World Cup for marketing purposes.
Acting on behalf of high profile football player to license his image rights to a TV Production company to use his body movements while playing football as the basis of an animated character as the star of a series of TV programmes to be sold and broadcast around the world.
Acting on behalf of a football player in negotiations for a book deal and also on any pre-publication defamation issues.