Get help with personal injury trusts.

If you need any legal advice or assistance with regards to personal injury trusts, contact the Davis Blank Furniss team now.

Personal Injury Trusts

If you have been awarded a large sum of compensation and you are entitled to means-tested state benefits then you will need to set up a Personal Injurty Trust (PIT).

If your compensation money and your total household savings are more than £16,000 then you are at risk of exceeding the threshold for claiming state benefits. You can protect your entitlement to state benefits by putting your compensation money into a PIT Trust. Any compensation money held in the PI Trust will not be included in the means-test and you will still be able to claim your normal state benefits.

The compensation money will be held in trust purely for your benefit and the trustees are able to advance money to you at any time. We can explain to you how a PI Trust works, help you to choose the right trustees, set up the PI Trust for you and give advice about running the PI Trust. We can give you further reassurance by contacting the government on your behalf to explain that you compensation money should not be included in the means-test.

Whatever is left in the PI Trust upon your death will form part of your estate. The money will pass in accordance with your Will or under the intestacy rule (if you have no Will). It is therefore really important that you may sure your Will is up to date and deals with money held in the PI Trust.

Download our Personal Injury Trusts questionnaire here.

Free initial consultation

To arrange a free, no obligation consultation use our online appointment and enquiry service or call us on 08000 284 396