Get legal advice about cohabitation agreements.

If you need any legal advice or assistance with regards to cohabitation agreements, contact the Davis Blank Furniss family law team now.

Cohabitation Agreement

Many people believe that if you live with your partner in a ‘common law’ relationship, you are automatically entitled to the same rights as a married couple. In reality, this is not the case.

A cohabitation agreement (also known as a living together agreement) can ensure that you both have rights in the event of a separation, or if one of you dies. The experienced relationship solicitors at Davis Blank Furniss can help draw up these agreements and give you the reassurance you need for your future.

What happens if there is no cohabitation agreement?

While the number of couples in the UK who choose to remain unmarried has greatly increased since the 1990s, the law still regards these relationships as no more than two people sharing a house.

This means that if the relationship ends, neither of you has any defined rights in terms of:

  • Dividing assets
  • Paying maintenance
  • Property share or ownership
  • Being regarded as next of kin
  • Rights of inheritance

A living together agreement can address all of these factors, as well as other important considerations such as agreements relating to your children’s education.

How Davis Blank Furniss can help

In order to ensure that an agreement is as strong as possible and suits your requirements, the agreement must be drawn up and signed by both parties using the proper legal channels.

Our experts will make sure the document is carefully written in such a way that it will be correctly interpreted under the law, and where necessary we will work closely with you to ensure the final agreement is tailored to your specific requirements.

We can also assist same sex couples who are considering a cohabitation agreement as an alternative to civil partnership or marriage.

Contact us

To arrange a no obligation consultation with our team, use our online appointment and enquiry service or call us on 08000 284 396