Shiva Shadi – Head of Employment – on the Autumn Statement & what it means for Employers

The Government’s Autumn Statement included a number of facts that might be of an interest to employers.

It would appear that out of the half a million new jobs created in the last year, 85% of those were for full time position, leaving only 15% of part time posts.  The majority of jobs having been created in Scotland and the North.

With equal pay audits introduced through the Tribunals as at the beginning of November George Osborne also announced that the gender pay gap is at its lowest level in the entire history of his country but clearly given the number of recent cases there is still a huge amount of work to be done before the gender pay gap is closed.

There was also specific emphasis on getting younger people back into work with the abolishment of national insurance contribution for employers who employ anyone under the age of 21 years of age to be introduced as of April 2015.  This supports the Government’s initiatives to ensure graduates are an attractive option to businesses looking to recruit.

The steps taken by the Government to encourage businesses to recruit the younger members of the population is further bolstered by the announcement that there will no longer be a “job tax” on apprentices under the age of 25.

However it all still remains to be seen whether all this helps the younger generations to get onto the property ladder!

To contact Shiva, please visit her profile here.

Share this article

This entry was posted in , . Bookmark the permalink.