Law Training Contracts
If you’d like to hit the ground running in one of the area’s most respected law firms, apply for a training contract with Davis Blank Furniss.
We usually take on two trainee solicitors each year, one in March and one in September. We interview on a bi-annual basis, so on each occasion will usually be looking to fill the four following training ‘slots’.
If your application is successful, you’ll spend at least six months each in the Business, Commercial Property and Commercial Litigation departments in our Manchester office. You are also likely to do some work with one or more of our specialist legal teams, such as Employment, Professional or Clinical Negligence, Matrimonial, Probate or Residential Conveyancing, and may have a formal seat in one of these departments. We reserve the right to place you in our Glossop office, but this usually only happens at a trainee’s request.
You’ll share a room with a partner or other qualified solicitor and you’ll be encouraged to have direct contact with clients from the outset. We also encourage you to get involved in the Trainee Solicitor’s Group and participate in their organised events with your peers.
We’re an equal opportunities employer, and welcome a diverse team. Our working culture is friendly and inclusive, we’re hardworking but fair, and whilst we don’t have a 9 to 5 mentality when attending to client business, trainees are not expected to work late nights or weekends.
We genuinely value our trainees and perhaps the most important measure of this is that the vast majority of our partners trained with the firm.
Send your CV and a covering letter to Carole Burleigh, Partnership Secretary at:
Davis Blank Furniss
2019-2020 applications had a cut-off date of 31st October 2018 and the recruitment process for those applications is ongoing. If you haven’t heard from us by the end of November 2018, you can assume that your application has not been successful and we wish you good luck in your training contract search elsewhere.
2021-2022 applications are now being accepted and the closing date for such applications is 31st October 2020.
- Approximately 30 applicants who are selected from the submitted CV and covering letter applications will be invited to a first interview.
- You will be interviewed by a two or three person panel consisting of a partner and our partnership secretary and/or a solicitor.
- The majority of the interview is informal, based on your CV, and will not involve any of the standard so-called ‘competency’ questions.
- Before going into the interview you will also be asked to read a short case or e-mail which will be discussed in the interview.
- We really just want to get to know you and see how you approach a legal problem.
- The second interview is in front of a panel of three or four partners.
- You will be expected to give a short presentation on a topic given to you in advance.
- You may also be asked to engage in some role-play around a typical client telephone call.
- We are looking for bright and sociable individuals who we can help develop into the future partners of our firm.